What Tom Brady really eats
Tom Brady is a superstar quarterback with a fistful of Superbowl rings and an equally famous supermodel wife, Gisele Bundchen. And while you may think that Tom Brady’s super-sized success is due to his hitting the DNA jackpot, the truth is Tom follows a strict lifestyle regimen he’s developed with his controversial life and wellness coach Alex Guerrero.
Tom’s even got a book about his lifestyle. The TB12 Method details Tom’s lifestyle philosophy which he credits to his success on and off the football field. And it is chock full of details about Tom’s dietary beliefs, which are served to him and the entire Brady family daily with the aid of a personal chef.
Think you know what Tom Brady really eats? Read on to find out what it’s like to chow down in the Brady household.
Bring on the veggies
In addition to working in top restaurants and hotels in Boston and Miami, Tom’s private chef, Allen Campbell, studied plant-based nutrition at the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies. Chef Campbell told Boston.com that he serves Tom and family an 80 percent plant-based diet, focused on vegetables, whole grains, and beans. The remaining 20 percent is rounded out with small portions of lean meats like grass-fed steak, duck, chicken, and wild-caught salmon.
Campbell said, “My philosophy is that a plant-based diet has the power to reverse and prevent disease,” adding, “it was just such a great match between what they wanted and my philosophy.”
Not just any old fruits, grains, and vegetables are going to do for the Brady clan. In addition to focusing on a plant-based diet for the Bradys, Chef Campbell also makes sure everything he purchases for the family at farmer’s markets, Whole Foods, and Boston’s The Butcher Shop, is organic and free of GMOs.
He told Boston.com, “I make conscious decisions to buy local and organic, and to stay away from GMOs, and to think about the future of the planet and the future of humans. … If it’s not organic, I don’t use it.”
What won’t he eat?
As you might imagine with such a strict diet, there are lots of things Tom, Gisele, and the kids won’t eat. The first group on that long list is processed foods, particularly anything that’s full of added sugars. In 2015, Brady told WEEI radio that Coca-Cola was “poison for kids.”
Coke wasn’t the only brand name called out by Brady in the interview. He pointed out that people consider Frosted Flakes a real food, and noted that lots of junk food gets advertised at the Super Bowl because the companies have money to throw around to “brainwash” people into believing their products are good.
Say goodnight to these foods
It’s not just processed foods and added sugars that Tom avoids. In fact, there are a number of seemingly healthy vegetables that Tom won’t eat as well.
For Brady and family, veggies like eggplant, peppers, white potatoes, and even tomatoes are a no-go because they belong to the nightshade family of plants. He claims they cause inflammation in the body, although science doesn’t really agree with him.
Chef Campbell told Boston.com, “[Tom] doesn’t eat nightshades because they’re not anti-inflammatory. So no tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, or eggplants. Tomatoes trickle in every now and then, but just maybe once a month.” Good thing he isn’t trying this with an Italian athlete. He does have Irish roots, however, so potatoes (also in the nightshade family) would probably be out, too.
What about bread?
Adding to the list of foods that the Brady clan won’t eat? Any foods containing gluten. So traditional breads, pastas, and muffins are certainly off the table. But just when you start to think Tom and Gisele are living on nothing but green juice and algae, Chef Campbell let’s us in on what some typical meals in the Brady house do include.
Campbell told Boston.com he loves serving meals in bowls, and described a quinoa dish with wilted greens he’d served recently: “I use kale or Swiss chard or beet greens. I add garlic, toasted in coconut oil. And then some toasted almonds, or this cashew sauce with lime curry, lemongrass, and a little bit of ginger. That’s just comfort food for them.”
Also on the menu? Vegetable maki with brown rice, lentil and buckwheat “footballs,” and fruit and spirulina roll-ups for the kids.
Move over, milk
Another food group that makes the naughty list in the Brady household? Dairy products.
In his book, Brady writes that the milk industry relied on heavy advertising in the last few decades to push its way into American households, and he even helped: “Remember milk mustaches? I actually did that campaign back in 2002!” But he contends that dairy isn’t all it’s cracked up to be: “Our belief at TB12 is that dairy products are high in calories and lower in nutritional value than other foods.” (More ice cream for the rest of us.)