The Zone Can Help You Reach Your Weight Loss Goals
Dr. Sears has spent more than 40 years researching how the foods we eat impact our hormones and the expression of our genes. See how the Zone can help you finally get that scale to budge!
WHAT IS THE ZONE DIET®?
The Zone Diet® was developed by Dr. Barry Sears more than 30 years ago to reduce diet-induced inflammation.
Definition of the causes of diet-induced inflammation:
1. Excess dietary caloric intake causing oxidative stress.
2. Excess dietary intake of omega-6 fatty acids that promote inflammation.
3. Excess dietary intake of the saturated fatty acids, especially palmitic acid, that promote inflammation.
4. Lack of dietary intake of omega-3 fatty acids that reduce inflammation.
5. Lack of dietary intake of polyphenols to activate anti-oxidative genes to reduce oxidative stress.
6. Lack of dietary intake of polyphenols to promote gut health.
7. Lack of dietary intake of fermentable fiber to promote gut health.
The more of these factors you have in your diet, the more likely you are to have increasing levels of diet-inflammation.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products that help reduce “diet-induced inflammation” are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, mitigate, or prevent any disease.
1. Boden G et al. “Excessive caloric intake acutely causes oxidative stress, GLUT-4 carbonylation, and insulin resistance in healthy men.” Sci Trans Med 7:304 (2015).
2. Patterson E et al. “Health implications of high dietary omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids.” J Nutr Metab 2012:53942 (2012).
3. Gupta S et al. “Saturated long-chain fatty acids activate inflammatory signaling in astrocytes.” J Neurochem 120:1060-1071 (2012).
4. Simopoulos A. “Omega-3 fatty acids in inflammation and auto-immune diseases.” J Amer College Nutr 21:495-505 (2002).
5. Rahman I et al. “Regulation of inflammatory and redox signaling by dietary polyphenols.” Biochem Pharmacol 72:1439-1452 (2006).
6. Duda-Chodak A et al. “Interaction of dietary compounds, especially polyphenols, with the intestinal microbiota.” Eur J Nutr 54: 325-341 (2015).
7. Slavin J. “Fiber and prebiotics: mechanisms and health benefits.” Nutrients 5:1417-1435 (2013).
WHAT IS THE ZONE?
The Zone™ is a real physiological state in your body that can be measured in clinical tests. If you are in the Zone, you have optimized your ability to control diet-induced inflammation. This inflammation is the reason you gain weight, become sick, and age faster.
There are three clinical markers that define if you are in the Zone. If all three clinical markers are within their ideal values, you are in the Zone. Otherwise, you are not.
|Clinical Marker||Ideal Value||What It Indicates||How to Test Yourself|
From your diet.
|AA/EPA Ratio||Cellular Inflammation||Future Wellness|
|1.5 to 3.0||Low||Excellent|
|3.1 to 6.0||Moderate||Good|
|6.1 to 15||Elevated||Moderate|
|Greater than 15||High||Poor|
- Polyphenols – Control gut biology and slow the aging process with MaquiRx or other Zone polyphenol supplements.
Each of the three components of the Zone program is powerful in its own right, but working together, they provide a powerful dietary roadmap to get you to the Zone where diet-induced inflammation can be controlled throughout your life.
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
Combining the Zone Diet® with anti-inflammatory supplements provides the basis for the Zone Anti-Inflammatory Nutrition Program, which takes you back to the beginning of modern medicine when Hippocrates said, “Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food.”
We finally have the breakthroughs in molecular biology to understand the power of those words and the importance of being in the Zone. The Zone Diet® makes it possible with the least effort on your part.
Losing excess body fat, maintaining wellness, improving athletic performance, or slowing the rate of aging are dependent on your ability to reduce diet-induced inflammation. We understand that changing your diet can be difficult. At Zone Labs, we provide you the products, continuing dietary education, and personal support that make dietary change possible for you.
BE EVEN MORE PRECISE
Want to have an even stronger connection to the Zone?
- Make your own meals – When cooking, consult the Zone Food Block Guide, or access hundreds of Zone Recipes.
- Determine how much protein you need to maintain your muscle mass – use our Body Fat Calculator. Then spread the recommended amount of protein you need throughout the day, balancing it with the correct amount of colorful carbohydrates.
- Use our Insulin Resistance Quiz to determine your extent of insulin resistance, and receive clinically-based dietary recommendations that may help reduce your levels of insulin resistance.
Always start with the Zone Diet® as your dietary foundation. Then use our recommended food and supplement products to get even better results to optimize your health and nutrition.