Garlic & Chive Mashed Potatoes
Russets are our potato of choice for this garlicky mashed potato recipe because they cook up super-fluffy.
- By: Theresa Farthing
Ingredients 8 servings
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1⅓ cups reduced-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground pepper
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with water by 1 inch. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, covered, until the potatoes are very tender, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine milk and butter in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat then immediately remove from heat.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pan. Mash with a potato masher or rice in a potato ricer. Add the warmed milk, sour cream, chives, salt and pepper. Stir until smooth.
Subscribe to the Magazine
Limited time 3-for-1 deal!
Get a full year of EatingWell®, Rachael Ray Every Day™ and Shape® for just $11.