Easy Keto Chili without Beans (Instant Pot and Slow Cooker Recipes)
You’ll love this recipe for delicious keto chili made with ground beef — and get this — no beans. It’s easy to throw together in your Crockpot or Instant Pot. And bonus — it’s perfect to make for freezer meals, too. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Keto Beef Chili without Beans
Chili is one of those dishes that elicits very strong opinions from food lovers! Some cooks love beans in their chili, some love tomatoes. And others believe that the only real chili is “Texas style” chili with no beans or tomatoes.
This keto-style chili, in my humble opinion, has some of the best of both camps. It’s made with ground beef, some tomatoes and onions, and get’s its delicious flavor from a blend of chilis. But, to keep it low-carb, it’s made without beans.
Is Chili keto?
Beans on the Keto Diet
- Peas: 25 grams of carbs, 9 grams fiber, 14 net carbs
- Lentils: 40 grams of carbs, 16 grams fiber, 24 net carbs
- Black beans: 41 grams of carbs, 15 grams fiber, 26 net carbs
- Kidney beans: 40 grams of carbs, 13 grams fiber, 27 net carbs
- Pinto beans: 45 grams of carbs, 15 grams fiber, 30 net carbs
- Chickpeas: 45 grams of carbs, 12 grams fiber, 33 net carbs
Low Carb Chili Ingredients
This recipe for keto chili starts off with ground beef. Ground or cubed beef is commonly used in a traditional red chili like this. But, if you’d like to use something different, just about any meat would work in this recipe. You could try using ground turkey, chicken, or pork to change things up.
And, if you’d like to add more low-carb vegetables to your meal, try adding chopped celery, zucchini, cauliflower, mushrooms, or spinach!
Here’s what you need for Keto Chili:
- Bacon adds savory flavor, richness, and a welcome smokiness
- Onions and Garlic
- Jalapeno. I added one diced jalapeno, and our chili had a mild/medium level of heat. If you are sensitive to heat, feel free to add less.
- Fire roasted tomatoes and chiles. Canned diced tomatoes will work well, too.
- Spices, including chili powder, cumin, and oregano
Remember that carb-containing ingredients like tomatoes, onions, and garlic are spread out over multiple servings!
Low Carb Toppings for Chili
I like to serve this recipe with sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, and cilantro. It would also be delicious with more jalapenos, diced avocado, or extra bacon.
Freezing Chili for Easy Freezer Meals
I love having freezer meals stored away in my freezer. Fortunately, this keto chili recipe is perfect for freezing. This recipe makes a big batch – plenty to serve for dinner right away and enough to store in the freezer for later. If you have a large Crockpot or Instant pot, you could even make a double batch.
How to Make Keto Chili
You can make this keto chili 3 ways. On the stovetop, in a Crock Pot, or in an Instant Pot.
First, cook the bacon, onions, garlic, and jalapeno. Then, brown the beef. Add the tomatoes, spices, and stock, and simmer away.
If you are using the Instant Pot, I recommend using the “Natural Release”. Natural Release reduces the temperature more gradually, resulting in more tender meat and better texture.
I hope you LOVE this recipe! It’s:
- Easy to make
- & Freezer friendly