Coconut Chocolate Chip Macaroons
These diabetic-friendly chocolaty macaroons are low in sugar yet sure to satisfy your sweet-tooth.
- By: Diabetic Living Magazine
Ingredients 18 servings
- 2 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- ⅔ cup sugar (see Tip)
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- 2 ounces dark chocolate or semisweet chocolate, coarsely grated
1 h 10 m
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites, vanilla, cream of tartar and salt with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form, tips will curl. Gradually add sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form, tips will stand straight. Gently fold in ½ cup of the coconut and chocolate.
- Using 2 tablespoons of the egg white mixture, drop a total of 18 mounds on the prepared cookie sheets, leaving about 1 inch between each mounds. Sprinkle tops with remaining ¼ cup coconut.
- Place cookie sheets on separate oven racks. Bake for 15 minutes. Half way through, rotate cookie sheets in oven by putting cookie sheet that was on top rack on bottom rack and bottom rack cookie sheet on top rack. Turn off oven and allow macaroons to dry in oven for 25 minutes. Transfer macaroons to a wire rack and let cool.
- Tip: We do not recommend using a sugar substitute for this recipe.
Subscribe to the Magazine
Limited time 3-for-1 deal!
Get a full year of EatingWell®, Rachael Ray Every Day™ and Shape® for just $11.